This Method is a mechanical measurement used to determine bulk principal residual stresses.
Sectioning Method is used in determining bulk residual stresses resulting from fit-up, casting, or forging processes, where the stresses exist over a relatively large region of a part.
How Does It Work?
The sectioning method is based on linear elastic theory and involves instrumenting a sample with strain gages at key locations.
The part is then sectioned to produce a relatively small sample containing the strain gages. Strains relieved by the sectioning process are used to provide bulk residual stress.
Strain relaxation due to sectioning can provide useful information to the relative magnitude and sign of the residual stress. Sectioning is a destructive method of residual stress measurement.
Features of sectioning include:
- Provides principal residual stresses
- Measures bulk residual stresses at a location; it does not provide residual stress incrementally with depth
- It is a destructive method of residual stress testing, but it is accurate and economical if done correctly
How are Lambda’s services superior?
Lambda is a recognized leader in the field of residual stress measurement, with extensive experience testing all types of materials, including metallics, ceramics, and polymers of nearly any shape and size.
- We can test components in our laboratory or in the field
- All residual stress measurements are performed by our certified residual stress engineers and technicians
- Lambda does not subcontract residual stress testing to a third party
Questions about sectioning or other residual stress measurement needs?